An era is defined as a significant amount of time, and this was pretty significant to me. This car, we'll call her Claire, was the love of my life until about 2 and a half years ago, and was the third love of my life until about 2 and a half weeks ago.
Claire and I have been through a lot together. Flat tires, dead batteries, snow storms, road trips, commutes to and from work through Provo Canyon, uphill both ways, sliding off the road on snowy days and falling down cliffs...you name it. Through it all Claire held it together and was always able to come back from her injuries.
It's gonna sound dumb, but the reason I named the car Claire (yes...I name my cars) is because of the regenerating cheerleader character from the TV show "Heroes". Claire was like Wolverine from X-Men in that she basically couldn't die. No matter what she always came back. Why didn't I name the car Wolverine instead you ask? Because that would be dumb.
In any case, this car was the same way. One day, when I was working in Midway and living in Provo (around a 60 mile round trip) I slid off the road and Claire and I went down the side of the mountain. Backwards. Tree branches put a hole in the rear window (which is some plastic-y type material since the car is an older convertible) and the roof (which is canvas), two of the tires needed to be replaced due to extensive damage, the trunk cover had a huge dent in it from something, and a few other things that I don't remember. The car survived a trip down a mountainside and got all put back together again. Thus: Claire.
Anyway, I'm bored of typing now. I had to get rid of the car. These pictures were taken the day I went to drop it off to the guy I sold it to...basically a junk yard.
I of course had to introduce Eliza to the car. Her car chair didn't really go in the car too well so she's only been in it once.
She loved it.
Putting air in the tire...one last time.
The last hoorah. On the way to the junk yard. It's like taking a picture of the dog on your way to have it put down.
I love this picture. Eliza is so cute!
Eliza patting the car. Good bye car!
You can't see it because I was taking this picture, but I'm crying a little bit as we drive away.
Oh parting with a car is sweet sorrow! We sold our Stallion in WA and it was harder than I thought. And although we've had the Mazda for over a year, we haven't come up with a suitable name yet. Perhaps something Italian now that she has an Italian bumper.
ReplyDelete