Thursday, May 29, 2014

A date in California

Mom and Dad McPhillen came to stay with us for the last couple of days so that we could get out and have some time for just the two of us. So we said goodbye to Eliza and left for a fun-filled afternoon.


I love lighthouses. I think they are in the most beautiful locations and can also derive a lot of meaning/symbolism from the function of a lighthouse. I could go on and on....and on.....but I won't... at least not at this point in time. So Matt, my sweet and very thoughtful husband, decided to surprise me and take me to the Point Loma Lighthouse. Little did he know that it could have been a whole day's adventure. There were hiking trail along the ocean, tide pools, and beautiful lookout points.
We soon discovered that there were 2 lighthouses. The one above is no longer in use but the one pictured below is currently used for the Coast Guard.

We didn't have a ton of time because our next stop was a session at the San Diego Temple. 20 years ago, at 13, I had the opportunity to go to the open house of this temple. It was my first temple open house. I still remember being in awe by how beautiful it was. I remember putting on the white slippers to step inside. I was in love. I loved the feelings I had and the dreams that were born from the experience of seeing the many rooms of the temple. So when 10 years later I was ready to receive my own endowment, I could not imagine doing it anywhere else. Fortunately my family all lived in California at the time so it was easy for me to fly out there for the special event.
I have told Matt all about the San Diego Temple and was excited for the chance to share it with him. It was also the first time I had been back since that special day. So a San Diego vacation ensued from my desire to go to this temple together.

1 comment:

  1. What lovely pictures and a lovely date. I too, love lighthouses. Always have. We went to a couple in Washington and I loved spending the days there.

    ReplyDelete